We live in a world increasingly polluted through air, water and soil, and the food industry uses alarming quantities of colorings, additives and stabilizers, bearing the generic name of „E-number”. All these toxins get into the human system. But because it was used to a clean environment and organic food for millennia, the body is trying its best to process and eliminate the toxins.
The residue deposits especially in the colon where it ferments and putrefies, and then through re-absorption it intoxicates the intestines, the liver, the pancreas and the entire body, until it cannot process any longer and gets blocked.
How do we know that we need detoxification?
Chronic fatigue, apathy, a decline in concentration and memorisation, migraines, irascibility, sleep disorder, faulty digestion (manifested by cramps, bloating, diarrhoea, indigestion, constipation), low immunity, weight gain, inexplicable skin rashes, abundant and stinky perspiration, thrush and halitosis (stinky breath) or the imperious desire to eat sweets – these are the main signals by which the body lets us know that there are too many toxins in our body and that we ought to act upon it as soon as possible.
How do we detoxify our bodies?
In the detoxification period it does not matter HOW much we eat, but WHAT we eat. Namely, we must choose only organic products, the least processed and without colourings, preservatives and other additives. Largely, an effective detoxification is ensured by cereals, fruit and vegetables, whose fiber content is indispensable for the bowel transit, as well as an adequate water intake, natural juices and infusions of detoxifying plants.
How often should we detoxify our bodies?
In order to maintain our bodies healthy and slim, two regimes of detoxification a year are recommended, as seasons change or after culinary gluttony (Christmas, Easter).
After re-establishing the natural balance in our bodies, the benefits of detoxification will shortly kick in:
- the skin becomes brighter and cleaner
- you are more energetic
- your digestion gets better and the bowel transit is regulated
- your immune system gains more resilience
- you have a better physical and psychical vigour
- you lose weight easier than before because a detoxified body burns the fat deposits more effectively
- Whole grains
- Seeds and unroasted nuts
- Vegetables and raw veggies (especially the green-leafed ones) grown in organic crops with no chemical fertilizers or herbicide
- Brown rice
- Beans and peas
- Fresh or dried fruit
- Salads or shakes
- Honey – 1-2 teaspoons daily instead of sugar
- Green tea instead of coffee if you crave an energizer
- Fruit and veggie juices prepared at home
- Tea and plant infusions
- Cold pressed olive oil added in your salads
- Bio yoghurt
- Cottage cheese
- Sweet yoghurt
- Kefir (verify the ingredients so that it doesn’t contain E-number)
- Fresh fish
- Lemons act as antioxidants and detoxifiers and it increases immunity. Add the pulp and/or zest in dressings for salads, tea, juices, cookies, garnishment for fish or grilled meat
- 2-3 litres of non-carbonated water or filtered water in order to stimulate toxin elimination through urination. Tap water is not recommended, because it is filtered with chlorine and other chemical substances, and mineral carbonated water engenders bloating
- Fried food
- Canned food
- Smoked products
- Processed meats
- White sugar and sweets (wafers, biscuits, cookies, candies etc)
- White bread, pasta, pastry and breading products made with white flour, any kind of product that contains coloring, preservatives and other additives (E-number)
- Table salt
- Refined oil
- Synthetic beverages (only the freshly squeezed juice counts as natural!)
You must follow these guidelines for 2-3 weeks
Moreover, intensive physical exercises routines stimulate loss of toxins through sweating. And do not forget the indispensable ingredients to any successful diet: self-esteem in abundance and plenty of perseverance.
Be healthy, be natural!